543 Prouty-Chew House, Federal, 1825
Built by Charles Butler, a partner with Judge
Whiting, this building was sold in 1842 to Phineas Prouty. His son added the
north and south wings. After changing hands several times, it was purchased in
1921 by Beverly Chew II, great grandson of Phineas Prouty. Mr. Chew lived here
40 years and then deeded the house to the Geneva Historical Society. The museum,
archives, and administrative offices are located here.
The South wing with the mansard roof brings an
eclectic flavor to the Federal style center. Notice the shallow, hipped roof,
typical sidelights, and fan-shaped transom around the door as Federal features.